Thursday, June 30, 2005

Show me the money!

Break open the bubbly - I am finally a real, authentic working girl. That's working girl like Dolly Parton in "9 to 5", not working girl like Julia Roberts in "Pretty Woman". The gun has gone off and the rat race has begun, I am officially stuck in an office working 9 to 5 for the man. Oooh wow, could that sentence be more packed with cliches?

It's not a great job, but it's a good job, and it'll pay the bills. Unbelievably I am again working for a cleaning company (why why why??) but this job has more responsibility, more administration (I get to do the accounting and payroll...hmmm, how much do I want to earn this week??) and last but definitely not least, more $$$. Well, actually, more €€€. So now I have a job, a flat, a credit card, and a handbag...does this mean I have a life? People have been telling me to get one, and I have.

I'm having fun listening to the Irish accent, but to tell you the truth, it's difficult to find. You're more likely to run into a Spanish, Polish, Portuguese, French, Chinese, German or even Argentine person here rather than Irish. But they have fun with my accent too, there's not too many Aussies here, nowhere near as many as London, so I guess it's still kind of a novelty. The thing I find funny is that the Marias say I speak with an Argentine accent...when I speak Spanish it's always with a really terrible Australian accent, but they can hear the Argentine accent underneath it. But they are Spanish-alising me...pretty soon I'll be saying "falda" instead of "pollera", "piscina" instead of "pileta" and even "coger" instead of "conseguir" (no, never!)! By the way, they do have 2 Ojos de Brujo CDs, they are really cool! I'll ask them about Bebe.

Anyway, better go learn how to do accounting and payroll - I have 36 hours or so before my job starts, that should be enough right? Or I could go on a spending spree at Penneys instead...that sounds like a better idea. Eeek, I really hope I don't suck at this job!

ATTENTION JOANNA CHAN: I have been emailing you for ages wondering why you don't reply. Do you still check your tigerstars email? Email me and let me know what's going on!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lucia,
Guido here. I was just strolling down internet lane and happened to chance upon your blog. What are the odds huh?....ok fine mum gave me the address.
Congrats on finding a job! I'm sure everyone in the history of backpacking has left the motherland hoping a job haven awaits their arrival.
I was just laughing about all the little changes to your spanish. I should start taking bets as to how long it will take an Argentinian to start saying 'vosotros' instead of 'ustedes' in everyday conversation :P
Ok that's it from me. Take care and keep the updates coming!

Anonymous said...

Hi darling!

Yes, it's mum. Who else calls you darling these days? Well… I'm the mother and happen to be the last person finding out you've got a job!. After all those conversations trying to convince you that yes, you are capable of this, and that... Of course you are! You are the best! (not that it tells that I'm your mum!). But yes, yes, yes… you are a CHAMPION, with capital letters!. Look, it took you only 2 weeks to get 3 interviews and 1.85 jobs! is that a record or not? And in a foreign country and almost, a foreign language!
Well, if this is not boosting your self-esteem, what else is going to do it!
Anyway, if you ask me, I would go for a shopping spree. Who cares about payroll? You will pick it up very quickly anyway (mum’s talking again!).

I love, love, love you darling... I'm sooo happy that you are happy!

Chat to you tonight. Actually, I'm going to the hairdresser tonight. I can't miss this opportunity for a celebration!

Love you.
Mama.