Sunday, May 22, 2005

Mmmm, Danish....

Copenhagen is absolutely quaint and old and totally lovely. I did a walking tour this morning in the pouring rain, and of course now I'm headed off to the hostel it's lovely and sunny outside. I can't wait till I can post all the pictures I took. It's very different here - I wasn't prepared for how Danish it would be. So many people told me "You'll be fine, everyone there speaks English" that I think I started to believe it would be just like being in England. Although everyone I have spoken to so far speaks perfect English, I feel so rude asking them to speak a foreign language in their own country. But this is what happens when you realise at Copenhagen airport that the European guidebook you have does not include Danish (though it does, bizzarely, have Scottish Gaelic).

I kind of wasted the afternoon (and a lot of money) by going to lunch with two girls (Kate and Fiona) I met on the walking tour. Tell you what, I won't be buying lunch anymore! I am freaking out about how much money I am spending, so I am going to be totally frugal from now on. The upside was I had a traditional Danish meal - pickled herring and rye bread, and a danish. It was absolutely delicious.

Also, I wanted to let you all know not to call me (except of course in an emergency) in the next three weeks or so, it costs me a lot of money to receive calls when I'm not in England. You can message me if you like! Anyway, better go find the hostel! Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hola Lucy! Your mum send an email telling the family about your blog, so here I am... enjoying your trip from Argentina. I just wanted to let you know that I´ll be following your journey trough Europe, till you get here and we get the chance to talk face to face again (it´s been sooo long it´ll be like getting to know each other all over again...).
Have lots and lots of fun!
un abrazo,
Maria Marta

Anonymous said...

oooooookkkk. I will not call you again.... ;)

Hope you enjoy your trip.

Rodrigo from Barcelona