Friday, May 20, 2005

I'm in London still

I fulfilled two lifelong dreams today. First I took a tour of Lord's Cricket Ground, then walked down the street to Abbey Road studios. The tour of Lord's was fantastic - not only did I stand on the hallowed turf, but also went inside the press box and the member's pavilion (including the Long Room, Committee room, and players' dressing room). Then we of course saw the urn in which the famous (or indeed infamous) Ashes are kept. I learned from where we get the names gully and silly mid on, and saw the first known record of the Laws of Cricket. I could barely suppress my excitement. The whole place is covered in memorabilia, and of course all the places where the MCC members hang out are totally opulent, so everything we saw was interesting and exciting. Our tour guide was a member, a typical moneyed English establishment type, but nice enough.

Abbey Rd wasn't quite so exciting, because they don't let you in to have a look around, but I got a big kick out of taking my picture next to the sign, and imagining how many times John, Paul, George and Ringo would have traced the same steps I was taking. I took a picture of the outside of the studio, but as the snooty receptionist in the lobby told me, "This is a private recording studio", so no looking inside. Makes sense really, or the place would be crawling with tourists and nobody would get any work done.

More typical English weather today - but as I was on cloud nine I didn't care at all - it could have been raining spiders and I would still have been skipping along singing "Strawberry Fields".

These last few days have been so exhausting I think I might actually be kind of relieved when the time comes to settle down for a while and work. While sightseeing is fun, it takes a lot of energy to keep going and going all day, and frustration mounts as you find that you don't have time to see anything properly. One hour in the Tate Modern Art Gallery is a travesty really. I just got to see enough to really want to explore the place, and I had to leave. I was just as surprised as anyone to find out I liked modern art though. It's a far cry from that yellow mattress sculpture there was such fuss about in the Nillumbik Leader! But I feel I got as much as humanly possible out of these last five days, and that makes me happy.

Tomorrow I leave for Copenhagen. Again I feel the same fear that plagued me before I left for Europe, since from now on I won't have Bianca's friendly face to keep me company. But I know I'll make many new friends - as well as Klaars, the doctor from the plane, I got talking to a bus conductor from Yorkshire today, she was a lot of fun, and had a totally cool accent.

Oooh, I almost forgot! Yesterday I hung out in Greenwich, which I have wanted to see for ages because the Royal Observatory there stands at the Prime Meridian, the longitudinal line from which all the world's time starts. But what I didn't know was they have a planetarium there! I've always wanted to go to a planetarium, and now I've been to one. It meant hanging around in Greenwich all day, since the show was at 3:00, but Greenwich is a pretty place, and they have a cool maritime museum and of course the Royal Observatory, which were both free (yay!) so I didn't mind. Planetariums rock.

Tonight B and I are having a quiet drink at her local typical English pub, to say goodbye to London. I know I'll be back though, since it's only a hop, skip and jump from Ireland. Not to mention I still have to go to Liverpool. So I won't really be saying goodbye to London, but, as the French would have it, "Au revoir"!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lucy,
You are not in London "still" at all! You've seen more in 5 days that I will probably see in my entire life!. It seems that you are having a great time in there as predicted and I'm so happy for that, although I'm here bored with work. I wonder how you are going to cope with 20 days of touring if you are already exhausted? You'll survive...poor thing!
I love to read your stories, but I also want to hear more about the people you've met and the things that you find different, interesting, exiting or even those that you don't like. This experience is one that you'll remember all your life, so it's a good idea to capture in this dairy your feelings and personal experiences as well (at least those ones that you can/want to share with us). I know, you must be thinking: mum can't stop herself from giving me advices!
Just in case I wont catch you on the phone tonight before you leave for Copenhagen, I wish you have the best time of your love in the Scandinavian countries and Russia!

Love you.

Mama.

Anonymous said...

Hola!
Me enteré por tu mamá de este blog así que me voy a mantener informada día a día de tu experiencia así, de alguna manera disfruto también de este viaje (vas a tener que ser detallista!!!).
Un beso grande, cuidate!
Mau

Anonymous said...

Wow Chi!

You're really doing it all! I'm so impressed - not to mention positively lime green with envy!

The blog is great - it means I can check it out when I'm free, and not feel guilty about reading an email a bajillion days after it was actually sent!

Do we get to see any photos of your exploits - or at least or our favourite Duck so we don't miss her too much?

Anyways - I hope you're time to come is just as exciting as the last week has been - I'll be tuning in eagerly for my next installments - let's just say you're my replacement for hanging at the end of each Angel/Buffy episode - I wanna know what happens next!

Luv you - you stupid old cow! *Moi*