Saturday, October 08, 2011

Kraków Continued

The next day was a little bland, I was tired from the festivities and sleep deprivation of the previous nights and wasn't up to much. I walked into the town centre where I ate an overpriced apple cake and coffee, then just wandered around soaking in the atmosphere. I visited the Rynek Główny (main market) which was pretty cool but small. I wanted to buy some crystal, but I was afraid it would break in my rucksack. I looked in my Lonely Planet for somewhere to eat, and I decided to follow it to what it assured me was Kraków's best periogi restaurant. It turned out to be one of those small, basic places frequented by students but they definitely made some top-notch pierogi.

In the afternoon back at the hotel I just went down to the bar to not be hanging out in the room. There were a group of guys playing checkers, so I wandered over and asked if I could play. They looked at me like I was from Mars, and ignored me completely. Thankfully one of them did take pity on me and so I chatted to him for a few hours about his ex-girlfriend who he was trying to win back, family, school, religion, Liverpool F.C. (he had never heard of Markus Babbel, oh dear) until it was time for him and his mates to catch the train to Budapest where they were to attend some kind of horrid "doof doof" music festival. After they had left I talked a little to a South African guy who was on his way to do volunteer work in the Ukraine, but I was getting tired and his way of saying "Yeaaaaah" was exactly like Bill Lumbergh's from the movie Office Space, which was totally creeping me out, so I made my excuses and went to bed.

No comments: